A Poor Brother's Hymnal
Monday, April 02, 2007
  What Wondrous Love
“Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.” John 15:13


William Walker (1809-1875)
Words: At­trib­ut­ed to Al­ex­an­der Means.

Music: From The South­ern Har­mo­ny and Mu­sic­al Com­pan­ion, by Will­iam Walk­er (New York: Hast­ings House, 1835); ar­ranged by Will­iam Jen­son Rey­nolds (1920-) (MI­DI, score).


What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this that caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul.

When I was sinking down, sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down beneath God’s righteous frown,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul, for my soul,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul.

To God and to the Lamb, I will sing, I will sing;
To God and to the Lamb, I will sing.
To God and to the Lamb Who is the great “I Am”;
While millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing;
While millions join the theme, I will sing.

And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on;
And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on.
And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing and joyful be;
And through eternity, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on;
And through eternity, I’ll sing on.



Dm C F C Dm C Am

F Am Em F Dm

G Am G Am C Dm F Am Em Dm

(Dm) C (Am) (Em) F C Am Dm C Am

F Am G F G Am Em C Dm

Labels: ,

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
All my favorite hymns. Most of them are from before the Reformation.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / May 2006 / August 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / June 2008 / July 2008 / November 2008 / July 2011 /



Links of Interest: The Celtic Catholic Church | Sacred Space | 7 Deadly Sins, 7 Heavenly Virtues | My School | My Website (In Progress)


Links that will add fire to my already extended stay in Purgatory: Ambrose Bierce's Devil's Dictionary | The Devil's Dictionary X | The Brick Testament | Jesus of the Week | The Onion Dome | The Onion | Ship of Fools | The Daily Show